December is always filled with generosity, excitement, and compassion.
This year is undoubtedly different, as we’ve all faced unforeseen challenges in 2020. Yet, there is still an overwhelming amount of kindness we can’t help but notice.
All year, we’ve witnessed individuals, businesses, and families rally together to help those in need. Over the months, we’ve continuously been uplifted by people near and far who continue to do the work of helping others.
Challenges in Connecticut
While many have adapted to a new way of living, many more are faced with lingering challenges:
- 600 Connecticut restaurants have closed since March.
- 35,000 businesses have closed.
- 277,000 jobs have been eliminated.
- 43% of Connecticut unemployment claims came from closed and nonoperational businesses, including restaurants, bars, nail and hair salons, and museums.
Many have reached out to ask how to help along the Connecticut shoreline, and that’s where The Gift Card Project comes in!
The Gift Card Project
The Gift Card Project launched in Guilford and Madison in March 2020 in response to the desire of so many people asking how they can help. Their efforts quickly spread throughout Connecticut, helping collect and distribute over $20,000 worth of gift cards to those in need.
The Gift Card Project aims to help in more than one way:
- By buying gift cards from small businesses, you help support your favorite local restaurants and shops.
- Those gift cards are then given to someone who could use a boost. The Gift Card Project handles distribution to ensure gift cards get to those in need!
Now, they are once again collecting and donating gift cards to those who need them most!
Simply buy a gift card from a small business and email or send it to The Gift Card Project. They will distribute it to those who need it most: families struggling to make ends meet, restaurant workers whose hours have been cut, and business owners forced to close their doors.
Learn more about how you can help at The Gift Card Project.